Our Logo

1867 Church at 11th & B Street

Return Home

Our Present Church...since 1906

1004 North A Street

Richmond, Indiana  47374

(11th & North A Streets)

Church Office:

765-966-7618

E-mail:

office@reidpres.com

Our church from 1906 to present.

The 1867 Church Seated 400 people!

Our church from 1867 to 1906.

The following excerpts originate from:

*History Of Wayne County, Indiana, by Andrew W. Young

 (published in Cincinnati, 1872)

"About the same time the society decided to build a new house of worship; and in November following; (1866,) Wm. S. Reid was chosen "to take the entire superintendence of the new church building." David H. Dougan was elected treasurer; and Daniel Reid, John J. Conley, and David H. Dougan, trustees for the ensuing year. On Sabbath, September 15, 1867, the congregation entered their new house of worship for the first time. The opening sermon was preached by Wm. Davidson, D. D., of Hamilton, Ohio. July 17, 1869, A.M. Weed was chosen an elder. In February, 1870, Rev. Joseph W. Clokey, the present pastor, commenced his labors, and was installed the 28th of April following." (end of quotes)

In the publication; History Of Wayne County, Vol. II, published 1884 in Chicago by Inter-State Publishing Co., the following paragraph was added to the (above) ending quotes: "The church was not fully finished until 1869, when it was dedicated by the Rev. William H. McMillan, of Xenia, Ohio. The Trustees at the time were Daniel Reid, John J. Conley and David H. Dougan. The Elders at this date, 1884, are: William S. Reid, Andrew F. Scott, James W. Smith and T. W. O. Braffett; Deacons, Frank H. Glass, Lucius W. Roberts, Alfred Lefevere and Don MacPherson. The church liabilities at its completion were assumed by W. S. Reid and A. F. Scott, and the church is free from debt. It is a handsome edifice, built in the Gothic style, and in size 39 x 70 feet, with a seating capacity 

of about 400."

 

web-site designed by dan tate

Last Edited  02/20/2008

Copyright   2000/2005 ~ by Reid Memorial Presbyterian Church

All Rights Reserved

DISCLAIMER: This web-site provides links (access) to other web-sites and does not control the content of those web-sites. The viewer assumes all risks of viewing and downloading information from those sites. Information and graphics from the "linked to sites"  remain the property of and may be copyrighted by the applicable owners. All laws governing the use of their property (information and graphics) and copyright notices must be strictly adhered to.