1004 North A Street
Richmond, Indiana 47374
(11th & North A Streets)
Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church
Pearl Street (now South 5th Street)
Used from 1833 to 1867
Artist ~ Lefevre Cranstone
How does this former church site appear now?
See current members in "period" dress!
More information regarding this earliest church...
Source: History Of Wayne County, Indiana, by Andrew W. Young
(published in Cincinnati, 1872)
states the following on page 401;
"United Presbyterian Church.----This church, at the time of its organization, was called the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. The records of this church prior to October, 1842, having been lost, the few facts of its early history here are furnished chiefly from recollection, by one who was a member at the time of its organization. At the time of his settlement here, there were but few Presbyterians in this vicinity. The first sermon from a Presbyterian minister is supposed to have been preached by Alexander Porter, in 1824. Only occasional preaching, however, was had for many years. The first pastor, or settled minister, was Wm. M. Boyce, in 1835 or 1836. A frame meeting house was built on Pearl street, south of Main. (Now South 5th Street) Among those who became members at and near the time of the organization were: Robert Grimes, (Pastor William M. Boyce married one Nancy Grimes in 1834) Daniel Reid, (father of Daniel G. Reid) A. Grimes, Jeremiah L. Meek, and John Reid, with their wives, widow Grimes, Mary Kibby, James MacFadden, Mary Davidson, Isaac Conley. Robert Grimes and Daniel Reid were chosen elders. The name of Joseph McCord appears on record as an elder at a meeting of the session of 1843. The pastorate of Mr. Boyce terminated in 1851; after which the church had for many years not settled pastor or stated preaching. In 1858, it assumed the name of the United Presbyterian Church, and Adrian Aten became its pastor. In August, 1862, Robert Grimes, one of its elders, died. In October, 1863, Wm. S. Reid and John J. Conley were chosen elders. In 1864, it is believed, the labors of Mr. Aten as pastor ceased; and on the 7th of May, 1866, Nixon E. Wade was ordained and installed. About the same time the society decided to build a new house of worship; and in November following; (1866,) Wm. S. Reid was chosen "to take the entire superintendence of the new church building." David H. Dougan was elected treasurer; and Daniel Reid, John J. Conley, and David H. Dougan, trustees for the ensuing year. On Sabbath, September 15, 1867, the congregation entered their new house of worship for the first time. The opening sermon was preached by Wm. Davidson, D. D., of Hamilton, Ohio. July 17, 1869, A.M. Weed was chosen an elder. In February, 1870, Rev. Joseph W. Clokey, the present pastor, commenced his labors, and was installed the 28th of April following." (End of quotes.)
web-site designed by dan tate
Last Edited 02/20/2008
Copyright © 2000/2005 ~ by Reid Memorial Presbyterian Church
All Rights Reserved
DISCLAIMER: This web-site provides links (access) to other web-sites and does not control the content of those web-sites. The viewer assumes all risks of viewing and downloading information from those sites. Information and graphics from the "linked to sites" remain the property of and may be copyrighted by the applicable owners. All laws governing the use of their property (information and graphics) and copyright notices must be strictly adhered to.